While the situation in Kyrgyzstan’s southern provinces Osh and Jalal-Abad remained mostly calm, the Kyrgyzstan Provisional Government prepares itself for further provocations in the north. Writes RIA Novosti:
BISHKEK, June 15 – RIA Novosti. The Provisional Government of Kyrgyzstan is awaiting provocations in the north of the republic and in Bishkek, said the first deputy chairman of the interim government, Almazbek Atambayev.
Ethnic clashes between Kyrgyz and Uzbeks began in the city of Osh in southern Kyrgyzstan last week . Rioters were burning cars, destroying shops, bazaars, as well as residential homes, there was rampant looting in the streets. On Sunday, the unrest spread to neighboring Jalal-Abad region of the republic. According to recent data, from the beginning of unrest in southern Kyrgyzstan killed more than 170 people, injured more than 1,7 thousand.
“That tragedy, which happened in the south, was a well-planned and paid for action. We must wait for any provocations in the Chuy region (north of the country) and in Bishkek. But we are well prepared for them”, – Atambaev said at a news conference in Bishkek.
He asked citizens “to be sympathetic to those security measures, which intend to take measures to prevent a recurrence of such events in the capital. Atambayev said that now in all settlements north of the republic, in particular, are units of the vigilantes. Atambayev said that the interim government was not ready for the provocations that led to the destabilization in the Osh and Jalal-Abad region.
“The fact is that the security forces of Kyrgyzstan have been filled with unqualified staff, and even with representatives of criminal structures under the previous government. We have yet to find the traitors, who showed his face just now. We were not ready (to events in the south), it is a big lesson for us, “- said Atambayev.
I am not sure if this is connected to the allegations that the Bakiyev clan was behind the riots or if it is in connection with other crimes allegedly committed by M, but it was announced today, that Maxim Bakiyev, currently in custody in the United Kingdom will possibly face extradition to Kyrgyzstan. AKIPress writes:
Bishkek (AKI) – In connection with the detention of Maxim Bakiyev in the UK, the Attorney General’s Office today, June 15, prepared materials to extradite him to Kyrgyzstan, the press service of the Prosecutor General’s Office told AKI today, June 15.
Through the Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry an official request was sent to the competent authorities for the extradition to the Kyrgyz Republic of a M. Bakiyev for the crimes he committed.
The prosecutor will inform later about the results.
Meanwhile, the Russian government is planning to send on Wednesday three IL-76 transport planes with humanitarian aid to the victims of the ethnic clashes in Kyrgyzstan, writes RIA Novosti.